When it’s cold, wet or even snowy outside soup becomes a family favourite in my household.
This vegan spicy lentil soup is my go-to, the spicy kick really helps warm you up after a day in the wind and rain.
It’s not too spicy either, my children love it and my grandma can’t get enough of it. It’s easy to make, you can also store it in the fridge and reheat and it still tastes great.
Lentils are low in calories which means you can eat this guilt-free. They are also a great source of protein and it’s believed they reduce several heart disease risk factors.
This recipe is gluten-free, doesn’t contain any nuts which means friends and family with allergies can enjoy it too.
This should serve 4 people but if you need to, you can increase the ingredient size to meet your needs.
Step by step guide
- Slice the leeks, carrots, and celery thinly.
- Rinse the lentils.
- Chop the coriander or parsley.
- Prepare your vegetable stock in water.
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pan on a medium heat.
- Add the leeks, garlic, carrots, and celery and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the harissa paste and lentils.
- Pour the stock into the mix and bring it to boil.
- Slow it to a simmer, partially cover the pan and leave it simmering for around 20 minutes.
- Check the lentils are tender and add salt, pepper and squeeze the lemon juice into the soup.
- Stir in the freshly chopped coriander/parsley.
You could add cinnamon, turmeric, and paprika instead of harissa paste if you want a less spicy more fragrant soup.
Nutritional Value of the Vegan Spicy Lentil Soup
The nutritional value of Vegan Spicy Lentil Soup is as the following:
Calories – 250
Fat – 7 g
Saturated Fat – 1.2 g
Carbohydrates – 35 g
Sodium – 8.7 mg
Sugar – 2.3 g
Fiber – 6 g
Protein – 14 g
This recipe can be adapted for meat eaters by adding chopped chicken breast or chicken stock. But I don’t think anyone would want to change it once they try it, it’s a perfect dish and a great way to introduce your friends to just how delicious vegan food can be.
Check also this recipe for a delicious green gazpacho soup.Last updated on: