Carrot cake is a classic, loved by young and old. It’s rumoured to have been around in some variety since 1591. Over the years the recipe has changed, now it’s better than ever.
Carrot cake is one of my favourite cakes, If I could only eat one type of cake for the rest of my life, carrot cake would certainly be a front runner.
Without further delay, enjoy our Classic Carrot Cake Recipe adapted to your Vegan Diet.
For the frosting
Step by step guide
- Start by mixing the cream cheese and butter, I’ve found using an electric mixer easier. Beat until smooth and fluffy.
- Add in the lemon juice and mix again.
- Mix in the powdered sugar, a little bit at a time mix well then add more.
- Now add in the vanilla and apple cider vinegar and mix well.
- Make sure you don’t overdo it, if it starts to get too runny stop.
- You can add more powdered sugar to thicken the mixture if needed.
- Peel and grate your carrots.
- Preheat the oven 180c / 350f
- Grease and line your cake pans.
- Using a large mixing bowl, whisk in your sugar, apple cider vinegar, vanilla and oil.
- Once the sugar starts to disappear add in the milk.
- In another bowl, using a sift add together the flour, baking soda and baking powder.
- Add in the cinnamon, salt and nutmeg.
- Now carefully mix the bowls of ingredients together
- Once mixed, add in the grated carrots and walnuts (if using).
- Fill 2 cake pans with the batter.
- Now bake until the middle is fully cooked, this should take around 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven
- Spread the frosting thickly in between the two halves of the cake and on the top.
- Top off with grated carrot and walnuts.
- Keeping the frosting in the fridge should make it last 3-4 days.
- You can add a bit of ginger to the cake batter to give it an added kick.
- Vegan butter or margarine is perfect.
- You can mix in maple syrup instead of sugar in the cake base mix.
Nutritional Value of the Classic Carrot Cake Recipe
The nutritional value of the Classic Carrot Cake Recipe is as the following:
- Calories – 520
- Fat – 14 g
- Saturated Fat – 2g
- Sodium – 35 mg
- Sugar – 75 g
- Fiber – 2.2 g
- Protein – 3 g
The Classic Carrot cake is a cake that stands the test of time, most classic carrot cake recipes are similar and swapping out dairy products for vegan alternatives means that you can still enjoy this classic after-dinner treat.Last updated on: