I love eggplant, it’s easy to source, affordable, tastes great and has some health benefits to boot! But sometimes we don’t know how to cook it. Thus we are presenting to you this recipe for a delicious baked Eggplant with tomatoes!
Indeed, eggplants are rich in nutrients and full of antioxidants, it’s also rumoured to help prevent heart disease. What’s not to love?
I make this, mostly during the summer months. It’s a nice summer lunchtime treat and I love tomatoes, you can make any dish work with tomatoes. This reminds me of a less spicy salsa type meal.
Step by step guide
- Chop the parsley and mince the garlic cloves.
- Pierce the eggplant in a few places.
- Place the eggplant in the casserole dish and cover.
- Cook on a low heat for around 40 minutes, turning the eggplant as needed.
- Once soft on the inside and charred on the outside remove from the casserole dish.
- Use a knife and create a lengthwise slice in the eggplant and allow to drain in a colander for around 10 minutes.
- Remove the flesh, throw away the skin and any hard seeds.
- Mash to a puree and put it into a large frying pan.
- Mash the garlic cloves into a paste add in salt.
- Add the garlic paste to the frying pan with olive oil, parsley, cilantro leaves, tinned tomatoes, cayenne pepper, paprika, and cumin.
- Cook on moderate heat and stir as needed, for around 10 minutes or until all the oil has evaporated.
- Finally add salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- This dish is best served at room temperature.
- You can add coconut and mango to give it an exotic summertime vibe.
- Alternatively, you can add some chilli powder or fresh chopped chilli to give it a spicy kick.
The nutritional value of the Baked Eggplant with tomatoes is as the following:
Calories – 253
Fat – 22g
Saturated Fat – 3.1g
Sodium – 111mg
Carbohydrates – 14.9g
Fiber – 5.4g
Sugars – 8.3g
Protein – 4.1g
Most people turn their nose up at eggplant but with the right cooking technique and the right ingredients, it can complement most dishes.
I’ve found this meal a hit with most of my family and some of my meat-eating friends have asked me for the recipe.
You can change the recipe to suit your family, it’s a very adaptable dish, enjoy our recipe of baked Eggplant with tomatoes!
If you are an aubergine lover like me, you can also check this recipe for a delicious Aubergine and Quinoa dish.Last updated on: